Sunday, September 29, 2024

"The Matrix" Misses the Main Point

The Matrix is one of my favorite movies. It made quite an impression on me when I first saw it. Since then, I've basically been trying to get out of "the matrix". The movies, though, portray the successful matrix escape as realizing the matrix is fake, then becoming superhuman as a result both in the matrix and in real life, which is a really dopey conclusion.

"The Matrix" is quite real and I think the portrayal of the concept in the first movie is useful. However, the matrix world isn't a shared delusional universe, like a computer game, it's an individual's delusion. Most people have an inner-world Thomas Anderson, and that character is completely fictional. There's (probably) no overlap with other people's inner worlds. Each individual's consciousness seems to be in an individual parallel dimension.

Anyway, the Thomas Anderson corresponds to the verbal consciousness, the "I", which is the element of the human mind which is almost entirely predicated on delusions about the nature of itself and reality. It confuses symbols and words for reality. The main delusion it has is, because "I" am verbal and symbolic, I am unchanging and shall live forever.... hmm that sounds familiar. That's a "god".

So The Matrix movie takes that delusion and projects it onto the screen. Neo becomes a "god". Essentially, the foremost delusion of the inner world matrix is portrayed as an escape from "the matrix".

We live in a world of people trying to live that delusion. There's racial and ethnic groups doing that: Jews. The whole jew religion is based on that premise; really all the abrahamic religions are based on that inner world "I"--well at least christianity is. I don't know the details about islam and don't care.

The only "escape" from the matrix that seems possible is an escape from that "I" delusion, at least to me, seems to be an embrace of the mundane reality of life on earth, which is actually quite spectacular on its own terms.

No comments:

Post a Comment