Saturday, September 15, 2018

Why "Tech" (aka computer stuff) is Ideal for Absorbing Credit

My parents gave us a Commodore Vic 20 when I was about 10 years old. For whatever reason that really clicked with me. I was writing 6502 assembly language programs before I got to middle school. Eventually my dad got an IBM PC and I got my hands on all the reference manuals associated with it. IBM even provided the source code of the BIOS (which was like the linux kernel back then), which was written in 8086 assembly language.

The first big wave of "automation",that is, slapping a microprocessor and electronics on manual or analog control systems, was in the 70s. By the time I was in the workforce in the early 90s, basically every business had a computer and everything that was profitable to automate was already automated. Those systems were refined a couple of times in the 90s and most of the value that could be added to the productive economy was already added.

Tech bubble 2.0 is mostly a manifestation of money printing. It's like an absorber for all the credit that's been issued by central banks. Data centers and data mining are ideal makework activities for government and corporate managerial bureaucracy.

Makework activities are ideal for central planning and banking. Since they don't require much real-world resources (apart from electrical power) all the money can be used for adding order to magnetically stored data in various permutations.

No comments:

Post a Comment