Monday, September 21, 2026

The Black Box for Competent People

I've come full circle in my adult working life. I'm in the same position as my boss at my first job out of college. Bob was a very competent person and was miffed about being forced into a management position. He was a scientist/engineer who worked on a bunch of very interesting academic/pure research projects, like building instrumentation for astrophysics experiments back in the 1960s. He fit the model of many adults I knew growing up where there was a significant focus on being a competent man.

I tried to follow that same model. I think it's the middle class mindset. Middle class and working class people believe it's necessary to actually "do something" or to be able to do things to make a living. Consequently, they are trained to do things, build things, understand things. When they apply that mindset to a thing like a corporation, though, they're stumped because it's almost impossibly stupid. To them it's a black box.

A guy like my first professional job boss Bob was very smart and focused and dedicated. I assume he had that mindset in college as well, because he maintained it after. Maybe he sometimes partied in college, but he probably also stayed up all night to finish projects or homework, or to study for tests. However, he ended up working "for" a bunch of nepo baby chuckle-fucks who breezed through the MBA curriculum at whatever university.

Competent people barely exist in "history", which is a pretty good clue that things have always been like this. The ruling class clique is poseurs and actors and professional liars. The people who actually make the world work are their dupes.

These "competent" dupes are in the dark about how this grifting class continues to stay in control.

No comments:

Post a Comment