Saturday, November 13, 2021

Wealth

I never sat down and calculated the resource requirements for myself or the people I live with. It's really instructive to do it.

There's a lot of studies about nutrient production per acre. I haven't surveyed them, and frankly, for the back of the envelope calculation purposes, who cares? I am using the first one I looked at.

Here's a little table of calorie/protein production per acre:

For my county, with a population density of ~230 people per square mile, about 17% of the land would need to be planted for food crops--probably more for the sake of safety and variety. Plus you'd want some land for animals. The rest of the land could go to forest. In fact, it would make way more sense to do that instead of having homes with big yards--that is the most retarded practice of our time.

The rest of the land would go to a hardwood forest. A puny amount of wood is needed to heat each 1000 square feet in our cold climate. It's really absurd how little wood is needed for that purpose. Each home requires something like 80,000 BTU per 1000 square feet in our cold climate.

A 70 year old forest stores around 1 TRILLION BTU of energy per acre. A forest yields something like 50 cords of wood over that time span, and a cord is around 20 million BTU. The forest yields around 8,000 gallons of gasoline equivalent over that time.

It would be extremely trivial to produce all the food and energy required for 95,000 people in my county with just the resources of my county, which is a resource rich county with low population.

Are we really resource constrained? We are hypnotized by cretins and live like fools. That's the real problem of humanity.


No comments:

Post a Comment